“Don’t you think we could save some of this for later?” my husband asked.
We were planning a small renovation on the home we’d just bought, and my husband wondered what we could push back—to spare ourselves the upfront cost of time and money.
“Could we spread the work out over a year?” he added.
I said we definitely could but added that the things you put off at first usually become the things you never get around to doing.
Now that we’ve been in our home for a few months, I’m so glad we did so much of the work right at the beginning. Because now…
Well, now we’re left with all the tasks we ran out of energy for after the move.
You know how it is—We need to install shelves in the laundry room and patch up the holes where I switched out the toilet paper holders. We need to order family photos for the walls and make a better system for shoes and backpacks… But who knows when these things will happen.
Has this ever happened to you? Have you felt that burst of energy that comes with a move—only to have it flatline a month or two later?
If you watch for it, you’ll see that there’s a power that comes with a fresh start—no matter what the fresh start is.
Fresh Starts to Watch Out For
- A new calendar year
- The start of a new school year or semester, either for you or for your kids
- A new relationship
- A new season of life, like when you first become a parent or when your kids leave home
- A job change or promotion
- A move
- The return home after a vacation
- A completed home or office renovation
Whether big or small, a fresh start can be an incredible catalyst. It can motivate you to get things done, drop habits that weren’t serving you, form new habits that are in line with your goals and values, and take meaningful steps toward being your best self.
It can also bring clarity, almost as if a change—a fresh start—in one area of your life is all you need to see the rest of it with sharper focus.
The Key to Making the Most of Your Fresh Start
Too often, though, we don’t recognize our fresh starts—especially the small ones—for the power they can have. We gloss over them, underutilizing what could otherwise have been a force for good in our lives.
The key, then, is mindfully capitalizing on your energy in order to really make a fresh start count. That way when your energy eventually wanes (like it usually does a month or two after a big move), you’ve gotten all the mileage you possibly could have out of that fresh start.
I hope these quotes inspire you to use your fresh starts to make positive change and ultimately create your best life.
17 Empowering Quotes to Help You Make a Fresh Start Count
1. “And then she realized that a fresh start was hers for the taking, that she could be the woman she’s always seen on the distant horizon—her future self. One step at a time. Starting today.”
Don’t wait to become the person you want to be. Start now.
2. “Believe in yourself. Believe in your capacity to do good and great things. Believe that no mountain is so high you cannot climb it. Believe that no storm is so great that you cannot weather it. Believe in yourself.” Gordon B. Hinckley
The first step to real change is believing that you can do what you put your mind to.
3. “A bird sitting in a tree is never afraid of the branch breaking, because her trust is not in the branch but in her wings.”
Circumstances will always be outside of our control, but our thoughts, our reactions, and our inner belief? Those are ours.
4. These words inspire me to reach further…
“Do more than exist—live.
Do more than hear—listen…
Do more than grow—bloom.
Do more than spend—invest.
Do more than think—create…
Do more than decide—discern.
Do more than consider—commit…
Do more than dream—do.
Do more than see—perceive.
Do more than read—apply.
Do more than receive—reciprocate.
Do more than choose—focus.
Do more than wish—believe…
Do more than encourage—inspire…
Do more than reach—stretch.”
5. Has your fresh start inspired you to take steps outside of your comfort zone—outside of what others have seen you do in the past? “One of the bravest things you can do is to live a life that’s different from what others expect of you.”
6. “It’s nice to stand out from the crowd, but it’s nicer not to worry what the crowd thinks.” So maybe your fresh start is taking you in a totally new direction. Remember, it’s okay to be different. ❤️
7. Sometimes a fresh start isn’t easy—even if it does come with a burst of motivation. A move can mean you’ll need to rebuild your village, a new job means new responsibilities and relationships to navigate… But you can do hard things.
“At first glance, it may appear too hard. Look again. Always look again.” Maryanne Rodmacher
8. Nobody says it like Brené. ? “If you’re not in the arena also getting your ass kicked, I’m not interested in your feedback.” Brené Brown
9. How many times have you tempered your hopes because you were afraid of disappointing others or even yourself? When we do this, maybe it’s because we’re listening to the wrong voice…
“Playing big doesn’t come from working more, pushing harder, or finding confidence. It comes from listening to the most powerful and secure part of you, not the voice of self-doubt.” Tara Mohr
10. Half alive was never good enough. “Safety is just the mirage of the living dead. Do you want to really live—or not?” Ann Voskamp
11. Despite all your best efforts, some days, you’ll feel defeated—and a moment later you may feel on fire! Living with purpose can be a wild ride. 😉
“We are tender and fierce. We are soft and strong. We are fragile and courageous. Sometimes all in one day.”
12. “When you’re clear about your purpose and your priorities, you can painlessly discard whatever does not support these, whether it’s clutter in your cabinets or commitments on your calendar.” Victoria Moran
13. Own it, friend. “You either walk inside your story and own it or you stand outside your story and hustle for your worthiness.” Brené Brown
14. Make sure the thing you’re devoting all your energy to is worthy of the life you’re pouring into it.
“There’s a big difference between empty fatigue and gratifying exhaustion. Life is short. Invest in meaningful activities that move you.” Marc and Angel
15. For as much as we may focus on the big changes, even a new day is a fresh start. “Tomorrow when I awaken, the slate will be clean, and a new day will stretch before me.” Lori Hatcher
16. It’s all about the future here. “Don’t look back. You’re not going that way.”
17. And last but not least, one final reminder of the power of a fresh start: “By making ourselves conscious of times of beginning, we can harness these crucial moments of opportunity to forge new and better habits.” Gretchen Rubin
For me, it’s hard to carve out the mental and emotional space for a fresh start when my mind is constantly spinning. If you’re in that headspace, grab my free PDF—The Mental UN-Load Checklist—to restore peace and order to your overloaded mind. ❤️